Spanish Minister Under Pressure as Leak Suggests Smear Campaign
22 de juny de 2016, 10:59 CEST
· Interior minister recorded asking for evidence against rivals
· Country holds general election on Sunday with voters divided
Spain’s acting interior minister, Jorge Fernandez Diaz, is facing calls to resign after a series of leaked recordings showed him asking a top anti-fraud official for information to discredit political rivals in Catalonia.
The audio files published by Publico news site as Spaniards gear up for a general election on Sunday appear to show Fernandez Diaz quizzing the head of the Catalan anti-fraud agency for evidence of corruption involving the region’s two main political parties, Convergencia and the Catalan Republican Left, as well as any other details that could damage their leaders. The conversation, according to Publico, was taped back in 2014 when the region held a disputed referendum on independence from Spain...
Secret recordings drag Spanish minister into conspiracy scandal
JAVIER CASQUEIRO, ANABEL DÍEZ, JUAN JOSÉ MATEO, ELSA GARCÍA DE BLAS
Barcelona / Madrid / Palma de Mallorca
22 JUN 2016 - 17:00 CEST
Acting Interior chief Jorge Fernández Díaz says revelations of his talks with anti-fraud agency to go after Catalan politicians is motivated by the upcoming elections...
“Operation Catalonia” hushed up by Madrid papers
Barcelona, 08/07/2016 08:23
Superintendent Villarejo of Spain’s National Police force —who has no penchant for Catalonia’s independence bid— has openly admitted that Spain’s Home Office took action against the Catalan independence process following political criteria. This is what is known as Operation Catalonia, which in any half-decent democracy would have caused a string of resignations. Not so in Spain. And to understand why, you simply need to compare the way Barcelona and Madrid-based newspapers have reported on the issue....
Villarejo confirms “Operation Catalonia”
Barcelona, 08/07/2016 08:16
The so-called “Operation Catalonia” has now been confirmed. Yesterday Spanish police superintendent José Manuel Villarejo made a statement before a Madrid judge admitting that he had toiled with the former chief of the Internal Affairs division (Marcelino Martín Blas) to stop the Catalan independence process, Europa Press reports. The superintendent revealed that a secret operation had been underway in recent years in order to find corruption cases involving Catalan independence party leaders, as this newspaper reported at the end of 2014...
Police report confirms existence of ‘Operation Catalonia’ during Spanish Government’s last term of office
Tuesday, 12 July 2016
Barcelona (CNA).- A 500-page-long police report has proved that there was an ‘Operation Catalonia’ aimed at smearing pro-independence politicians during the Spanish Government’s last term of office, held by the Conservative People Party (PP). According to an article published this Tuesday by ‘El Periódico’, to discredit the whole pro-independence process in Catalonia was one of the main competences that Inspector José Villarejo was entrusted with. It is claimed that Villarejo launched ‘Operation Catalonia’ together with former police Head of Internal Affairs, Marcelino Martin Blas, in 2012, coinciding with electoral periods. Catalan Vice President, Oriol Junqueras, said that he considered these plots “repugnant” and that they make him “cringe”. The news comes less than a month after the release of several tapes that proved that current Spanish Minister for Home Affairs, Jorge Fernández Díaz and former Director of Catalonia’s Anti-fraud Office, Daniel De Alfonso, plotted to discredit Catalonia’s main pro-independence parties.